Monday, October 23, 2006

The World Series kicked off this weekend, with the Cardinals taking game one on Saturday and the Tigers winning game two on Sunday. While it is refreshing to see two teams not from New York in the Series, I find myself apathetic. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I've watched plenty of Super Bowls feeling apathy (Tampa Bay vs. Oakland is the most egregious recent example), but I still watch them, because I follow professional football every week and I want to see how the story ends. But that isn't the case with baseball, where my team - the Orioles - is usually out of it by late July and I find myself wanting to watch or think about anything OTHER THAN baseball. The system is so fucked that by the time the World Series rolls around, I'm not only apathetic, I'm disinterested.

Speaking of which, tragically, baseball just came to a new labor agreement. No salary cap, of course; just an extension of the worthless "luxury tax" system which has been so effective in curtailing the spending of big market clubs that George Steinbrenner only rolled out a team with a $200 million + payroll this season, about 14 times the payroll of the Florida Marlins (and by the way, I find it just as obscene that the Marlins owner is allowed to spend what he spends as I find Steinbrenner's spending). Bud Selig preposterously claimed that baseball had, and I'm quoting here - "more parity than any other sport." Selig is one of the few people that, if I met him in the street, I would punch him in the face. Seriously, what a worthless piece of shit he is.

Anyway, Tigers in 6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home