Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Something has recently occured that made me reevaluate my list of the top QBs of all-time (http://kevinssportsblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/51507-two-quick-notes-before-i-get-to.html). As you probably have heard, Donovan McNabb sparked a controversy with his recent remarks about how African-American QBs are scruitinized in an interview on HBO.

In light of this, I decided to look into his career numbers. I found that I had completely overlooked one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the League when I made my list last May - even though he played right in my favorite team's division. Looking back, it should have been obvious. I knew McNabb was a great QB whose supporting cast never allowed him to look as good as he really was. I also knew that, in spite of his supporting cast, he managed to win the NFC East year after year. I even remember telling one of my friends one time, a few years back, that if any QB in the League was better than Manning, it was McNabb.

Well, McNabb isn't better than Manning, but he's pretty damn good.

McNabb's completion percentage is a very high, albeit just short of elite, 58.1. His YPC is lower than most of the tip-top QBs at 6.7, but that is still high enough to be among the best of the rest. But where McNabb really stands out is his TD:INT ratio - 2.10, higher than any other QB in NFL history save one - Steve Young, who topped my list. With a total score of 3.59, he falls right between Tom Brady and Dan Marino on my list, which now looks like this:

1. Steve Young
2. Peyton Manning
3. Joe Montana
4. Tom Brady
5. Donovan McNabb
6. Dan Marino
7. Otto Graham
8. Brett Favre
9. Jim Kelly
10. Roger Staubach
11. Sonny Jurgensen
12. Len Dawson
13. Warren Moon
14. Fran Tarkenton
15. Troy Aikman
16. John Elway
17. Bart Starr
18. Dan Fouts
19. Johnny Unitas
20. Bob Griese
21. Norm Van Brocklin
22. Y.A. Tittle
23. Terry Bradshaw
24. Joe Namath
25. Bobby Layne
26. Bob Waterfield
27. George Blanda

By the way, the fact that McNabb is not usually mentioned among the all-time elite QBs the way Manning and Brady are, in light of his stats, adds to the credibility of his arguement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home